Federal Register Notice on Listening Sessions - May 1, 2009
This is a notice to inform the public of seven upcoming meetings to discuss stakeholder concerns related to the implementation of the National Animal Identification System. The meetings are being organized by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.
Benefit Cost-Analysis of the National Animal Identification System - April 29, 2009 (PDF; 2.24MB)
Kansas State University led a team of researchers to examine the economic benefits and costs of NAIS. Their findings can be found in this 400-plus page report.
Overview of the Benefit-Cost Analysis of the National Animal Identification System - April 29, 2009 (PDF; 168KB)
This condensed summary of the Kansas State University Benefit-Cost Analysis was prepared by USDA APHIS. It provides the most important data in a reader-friendly format.
Veterinary Services Memorandum No. 575.19 - Dec 22, 2008 (PDF)
Veterinary Services Memorandum No. 575.19 - Sep 22, 2008 - CANCELED (PDF)
The 2007 U.S. Animal Health Report is now available.
Liberty Ark's Letter to members of the Subcommittee on:
Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agencies in requesting that Congress stop funding the USDA's National Animal Identification System (NAIS).
Senator Herb Kohl (D-WI) (Chairman)
Senator Robert Bennett (R-UT) (Ranking Member)
Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) (Chair)
Representative Jack Kingston (R-GA) (Ranking Member)
February 1 call for Comments on three NAIS documents
Legislation proposed in the 109th Congress:
S-3862 and HR-6042 - To Prohibit a Mandatory Animal Identification Program. (Senator Jim Talent R-MO and Representative Jo Ann Emerson R-MO)
Liberty Ark's letter to Senator Talent
HR 3170 - To establish a Livestock Identification Board to create and implement a mandatory national livestock identification system.
HR 1254 and HR1256, companion bills. HR 1254 establishes an "electronic nationwide livestock identification system...." HR 1256 makes information in the resulting database confidential - not available though Freedom of Information requests. Currently in committee.
- Not Yet Introduced/Numbered: Farm Appropriations Bill - to be voted on in the fall of 2006.
The NAIS Plan:
- available at www.usda.gov/nais
- USDA Traceability Business Plan, issued September, 2008 (pdf)
- NAIS User Guide, issued November, 2006 (pdf)
- A Guide for Small-Scale or Non-Commercial Producers, issued June 2, 2006 (pdf)
of Tele-News Conference with Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns And Dr. John Clifford, USDA's Chief Veterinarian Regarding the National Animal Identification System Washington, D.C. - April 6, 2006
- Strategies for the Implementation of NAIS, issued April, 2006 (pdf)
- Technical Supplement, issued July 26, 2005 (pdf)
- Draft Strategic Plan, issued April 25, 2005 (pdf)
- Draft Program Standards, issued April 25, 2005 (pdf)
- Sec. 331 authorized the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service to "implement a central automated recordkeeping system to provide for the reliable tracking of the status of animal and plant shipments, including those shipments on hold at ports of entry and customs." It also gave APHIS $30,000,000 to get going on the project.
- FDA section, Section 305. This Section provides that facilities holding food, both human and animal, are to be registered with the government. A "facility" is a "factory, warehouse, or establishment...that manufactures, processes, packs or holds food." The statute continues "Such term does not include farms;...." FDA regulations may be the basis used for collecting identifying information when purchasing feed.
To view a pdf, you'll need the latest version of Adobe Reader installed on your computer. If you don't have Adobe Reader installed or you aren't sure, click on the icon to download a free copy.